Sunday, September 6, 2009

Life Lesson #1: Social Networking

I never used to be one of those people that updated their profile all the time. Never thought i've have a twitter account. But lately i've been strangely obsessed with both. Something about knowing what everyone is doing at all times makes me happy. I dont know if it gives me a weird sense of popularity or what. It's actually becoming somewhat of a problem in my life I'd say. I find myself spending HOURS on facebook. Looking at pictures of people I dont even know. As in, if Sarah Jones has 786 picture... I have probably looked at every one of them. Who is Sarah Jones you ask? I probably knew her in 3rd grade or met her at a Rangers game once. Maybe i friended her as part of my "friend challenge" i had going on with my friend Katie in which we raced to see who could get more friends (she won). I friended basically anyone who even looked at me. I currently have 892 friends... she has 919. I'm pretty excited for my thousandth friend I'm not gonna lie. I have about 3 friend requests pending, no worries.

Anyway, I have a few thoughts about facebook that I'd like to share with you all. First of all. I think it's one of the best inventions of our time. Truly life-changing. You know what the most pivotal point in Facebook's history is? In my opinion? The creation of the newsfeed. I mean, I remember when it first came out. There was so much controversy about it. I was so outraged that I seriously thought about deactivating my account. I mean come on, I don't need every GD person I know (and several I don't) finding out what I did last night, who I'm dating, or when i add "going out with friends" to my interests. But then I sat back and thought about it. Facebook is essentially the US Weekly of real people. I mean, seriously. You find out EVERYTHING as it happens. Jessica and Andrew broke up? Omg. Wait... Meredith Frasier is now interested in "women" (something did seem off about her come to think of it). I mean it's effing brilliant. Status updates are also clutch. Emily Adams is in Austin this weekend? Crazy! So is her ex Will. Maybe they'll hook up... who knows?? I will. By Monday. Thank you again, Newsfeed.

Ok last thing I have to say about Facebook and I am out like a fat kid in dodgeball. I know i've talked to many of my friends about this (several times I'm sure) It really really bothers me when people use the term "Facebook Stalking". I understand that yes, it is essentially stalking, but I mean.. is that not the POINT of facebook? Stalking has a negative connotation. Images of creepy night lurkers/peeping toms come to mind. People, we are not stalking. We are simply using facebook for its intended purpose.

Lesson learned: ok. Technically there is no lesson to be learned from this post. I simply thought I'd express my opinions about the trend of social networking. I just really liked the concept of "lessons" as a premise for a blog. And seriously I have several stories to share, and lessons have been learned from each. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment